Desford Community Action Group
Who are we?
A group of residents originally came together to create a Village Appraisal Questionnaire. Following this questionnaire in 2002, we have continued to meet monthly to discuss issues and arrange projects, big or small, for the benefit of YOUR COMMUNITY!
New members are welcome - we usually meet on the first Wednesday of each month at 7.30pm
More information may be obtained from:
Pat Crane 823537 Linda Mitchell 822197
Good Neighbours Scheme
DCAG is working in partnership with the surgery, St Martin's, the Free Church, the Parish Council and the RCC to investigate the possibility of setting up a GNS in the parish.A GNS is a voluntary initiative which is organised and run by local residents.
It is based on a pool of volunteers who offer their time to help and support others within the community with a range of tasks and activities.Depending on the availability of skills, these could include transport, visiting, shopping, collecting prescriptions, emergency dog walking, help with form-filling, using the computer, gardening and minor household repairs.
Any resident in genuine need of help will be able to apply.Volunteers will take it in turn to hold a mobile phone and connect users with providers.
The intention is, that by having a single point of contact, it will be easy for people to use the scheme. In June a questionnaire was delivered to all households and a public meeting was held. Following on from this, a Steering Group has been set up. They are busy working on a constitutuion, setting up a bank account and applying for grants.
We aim to launch the sceme in January 2014, but will try to keep you informed in the meantime.
For further information, contact Mike Willcox or Kathy Hamilton
The third round of funding is now open. Community Groups have until March 31st to send in their applications. For further details please see the attachment below.
Recipients so far have been;
Desford Local History Society received a cheque to purchase a digital projector. This will be used at meetings and other events.
Desford Allotment Garden Association received a cheque towards the purchase of a container which will provide a secure storage space at the Desford Allotments.
Desford Free Church received a cheque towards the purchase of new crockery, which will be used by the Wednesday Friendship Group.
Rainbows Baby and Toddler Group received a cheque for the purchase of new safety matting and toys.
- Desford Community Action Group is committed to help Desford continue to be a great place to live.
- In 2007, 2009 and 2011 we organised very successful Open Gardens Events.
- Money raised at these events has supported village projects, including purchase of the village sign, and various charities.
- The money raised at the 2011 Open Gardens Event paid for improvements to the Pickard Jitty. Various charities were also supported by individual gardeners.
- The fourth Open Gardens event took place on the weekend of June 22nd/23rd 2013
- We have organised quizzes to raise money for the Play Areas Improvement Projects at the Pickard and Kirkby Road Recreation Grounds
- The money from the quizzes held in October 2011 and February 2012 was put towards the Jitty improvement Project
- Currently proceeds from Quizzes will be used to fund local projects. See above to see if your organization could qualify for a grant in 2014
- We plant bulbs every autumn to enhance the environment.
New members are always welcome.
Minutes of DCAG Meetings
Click here here to visit the Desford Community Action Group Minutes Archive.
What do we do?
We usually meet on the first Wednesday of the month at 7.30pm
We liaise with the Parish Council, Community Groups, Neighbourhood Watch and individuals
We instigate and raise money for village projects
We no longer organise monthly walks, however we do support the Walk for Health walks organised by the Three Villages Walking Group.
Read our new Walk Reports here.
We also make sure new residents are made welcome and given a Welcome Pack
Please let Pat Crane know if you have a new neighbour on 823537.
We organise two quizzes per year to raise money for village projects.
With money raised from the quizzes we have;
helped fund the play equipment at Pickard Recreation Ground and Kirkby Road Play Area
helped fund the Pickard Jitty Improvement Projecy to make it a safer place for people to walk along, particulary at night
Further information may be obtained from Linda 822197 or Pat 823537