1. Skip to content


The O'Shea Family

We were told that an Old School House, belonging to the Noseley Estate, was due to be vacated and that we needed to see Lord Hazlerigg to become tenants. First find Goadby on the map and then proceed to Noseley!

At that time we were living in Central Avenue, Leicester and, although it was near to Victoria Park, it was not, to us as ex-Houghton-on the Hill people, our idea of the country, so we made our sortie to the hamlet of Goadby and it was love at first sight for all three of us plus one kitten.

At that time, Holme Lodge, our immediate neighbour, was a private nursing home. The only drawback was that, because there was no mains water laid on to either of our properties, our water was drawn from the communal well and pumped through to our taps via an electric pump operated in Holme Lodge. O.K. so far, except that if lots water was used during the night by the nursing home staff and the pump was not switched on, in the morning we were dry. Lots of buckets of water were carried across the yard when that happened because by then Tracy had been born and new-born babies also need lots of water re nappies and bathing. Luckily, by the time Patrick was born we had mains water and a new drainage system. The sewage works didn't come into being until many years later, but we coped!

It took a few months to remember to do all the shopping in one fell swoop, as the nearest shop was in Tugby and as a one car family, when Tony had gone to work in the morning, any shopping that had been forgotten, e.g. salt and such minor items were gone without, unless I pushed the pram to Tugby.

The school bus collected the children in the morning and took them firstly to Church Langton Primary School, later to Kibworth Beauchamp and finally to Robert Smyth in Market Harborough. Such a safe environment, as they had no roads to cross and were brought back to their front door in the afternoon.

There was a Midland Red bus service that came to Goadby on Wednesdays and Saturdays for Leicester visits. The Wednesday one was particularly good as it left at 10a.m. and returned at 3.30p.m., which allowed a good shopping time and special treats, such as a museum and platform tickets to the railway station to watch the trains!

Goadby was a much noisier place than it is now. The farms were very busy and when the grain-dryers were operating nights could be quite hectic, but that was something one got used to and it was such a relief when it stopped!

There were many more young folk in Goadby and many a hectic ball game was played across the green as there never seemed to be a field for the youngsters to use, although the "Horse Hills" fields were not enclosed at that time, and great fun was had when it snowed, using it for sledging.

We seemed to have much more severe winters during the Seventies and Eighties and we very often had to leave our car stuck in the snow just off the B6047 and walk back to the village. We didn't have a freezer then, so dried yeast and plenty of flour were kept in case of running out of bread!

Everyone knew everyone else in Goadby in those days and I dare say that if help was needed it would have been given but, and this is just our own opinion, it seems to us that the village is much more of a community now and has improved over the years. We wouldn't change Goadby, we like it just the way it is.

Latest Pictures

Street Party

Goadby Church 1791

Church following restoration

August 2008 016

Goadby General view 3

Goadby General view 2

Goadby General view 1

Goadby 3

Goadby 2

Goadby 1

My Shortcuts

8,236 page views over twelve months, updated daily.