Hallaton Museum is open from Easter to the end of September every Saturday Sunday and Bank Holidays from 2.30pm - 5pm.
Entrance free, donations gratefully accepted.
Special opening of the museum, guided village tours and walks to Castle Hill can be arranged by prior appointment. Contact Carol Kirby on 01858 555305. email: email@example.com.
The Tin Tab, Churchgate, Hallaton, Market Harborough, Leicestershire LE16 8TY.
'The Village Post Office'
Photograph by Fred Hawke taken outside Hallaton Post Office circa 1912.
NEW FOR 2013
Hallaton Museum's 2013 exhibition entitled 'The Village Post Office' features the life and times of Frederick C Hawke, one of Leicestershire's longest serving sub-postmasters and a man of great energy and spirit. He served as sub-postmaster in Hallaton for nearly 60 years from 1902 to 1960.
Fred Hawke was also a keen and talented photographer and his many pictures and postcards record village life in the early 1900's.
Discover what happened on the latest 'dig' at Hare Pie Bank, site of the Bottle Kicking, by the Hallaton Field Walking Group.
- The Hallaton Hoard
- The story of the Bottle Kicking and Hare Pie Scrambling
- Social history and pictures
___ ___ ___ ___ ___ ___ ___ ___ ___ ___ ___ ___ ___ ___ ___ ___ ___ ___ ___
Official Opening of the Restored Tin Tab
30th June 2012
Celebrating the restoration of the Tin Tabernacle and the opening of the new museum on Saturday 30th June 2012. Thanks to a generous grant of £39,772 from the Heritage Lottery Fund and further financial support from Leicestershire County Council, The Arts Council, Garfield Weston and the Manifold Trust, the Hallaton 'Tin Tab' has been restored and is now home to the museum's exhibitions of the Hallaton Treasure, Bottle Kicking, Victorian history of the Tin Tab with social history and research facilities.
Left to right: Market Harborough District Cllr David Beaty and Mrs Beaty, Denis Kenyon Hallaton PCC, Leicestershire County Cllr David Sprason, Joan Bray Committee Member for the Heritage Lottery Fund, Vice Chairman Harborough District Council Cllr Geraldine Robinson and consort, Rob Clarke LCC and Carol Kirby Chairman Hallaton Museum.
Hallaton Museum moves to new premises in Churchgate Hallaton in 2012 and will open to welcome visitors on Easter Saturday and Sunday 2.30 - 5.00 pm, Easter Monday 10.30 - 4.30 pm and every Saturday, Sunday and Bank Holiday from 2.30 – 5.00pm from May 5th until the end of September (or at other times by prior appointment when a small charge will be made.) Entry free, donations always very welcome.
Group village tours and guided walks to the Motte & Bailey can be arranged. Contact Carol Kirby on 01858 555305.
Hallaton Tin-Tabernacle - A work in progress
Work started on the restoration of the Hallaton Tin Tabernacle in January 2012. For many years it had been used by the local Primary School. When they ceased to need it Hallaton Museum, an independant, charitable organisation took it on and with generous funding from Heritage Lottery Fund, Leicestershire County Council, and several charitable organisations, undertook a total restoration of this building which was in a very sorry state.
The restoration is now nearing completion and from Saturday 5th May visitors will be welcome to come and look at the new improved Hallaton Museum with its Hallaton Treasure, Bottle Kicking and other displays.
The History of Hallaton Tin Tabernacle
Known as Tin Tabernacles or 'Tin Tabs' they were cheap to produce, easily transported and erected and durable.
Corrugated iron was the material used for the original 'flat-pack' buildings which by the mid-nineteenth century were being made in many shapes and sizes to be sent all over the world wherever temporary buildings were needed.
Some served as churches or chapels, others as accommodation in the goldfields, as hospitals, shepherds' huts and pigsties.
In 1894 the new rector of Hallaton, Canon Chetwynd-Stapylton purchased this building to serve the village for recreation and as a reading-room.
However his generous gesture failed to secure him a seat on the Parish Council and he subsequently recorded his disappointment in the Parish Magazine:-
"I thought that I have established a fair claim to be accounted a good citizen of Hallaton. I have stood entirely alone in the erection of a Parish Room, at considerable cost, in furnishing, heating and lighting it and supplying it with newspapers, etc. as a reading room for two winters..."
The Parish Room opened from early November till late March. As Hallaton was predominantly an agricultural village, people would have had little time for relaxation other than in the winter months.
There are records of dances, talks, Mothers' Meetings and private gatherings taking place but by 1926 the Tin Tab had been superseded by the Stenning Hall. It continued to be used for small events, family parties, occasional whist drives, Brownies, and the Youth Club and was leased to Leicestershire Education Authority as a temporary classroom for evacuees from London during the Second World War. It remained in use for PE and as the school dining-hall until 2010.
Hallaton Parochial Church Council, recognising its historical importance, then offered it to Hallaton Museum so that it could once more play a part in the village community.
Using local tradespeople, the resotration of this building was completed in less than five months. A record of the work can be seen on the digital picture frame and a list of funding agencies is displayed outside.
Hallaton Museum opens 2009 Exhibition
'Rituals, Hoards and Helmets'
On May 23rd Hallaton Museum opened their new exhibition 'Rituals, Hoards and Helmets'which tells the story of the discovery of the coins and other items which make up the Hallaton Treasure.
The exhibition was declared open by Vicki Score, the archaeologist in charge of the excavations who also gave a short introduction to the history of the site.
About 100 people attended the event in the Stenning Hall including many villagers, Local, District and County Councillors, Professor Colin Haselgrove and members of the Archaeological Department of Leicester University who had been involved with the site from the beginning, together with representatives of several funding organisations and Harborough Museum.
Jane Bray of the Heritage Lottery Fund said how impressed she was with the community involvement of such a small village and what had been achieved.
Photograph showing from left to right:
Rural District Councillor David Beatty, Mrs Kershaw, Mrs Beatty, Tony Kershaw Chair of Leicestershire County Council and Vicky Score archaeologist.
Hallaton Museum previously in Hog Lane for over 30 years
'Rituals, Hoards and Helmets'
Rituals, Hoards and Helmets tells the exciting story of the discovery of the Hallaton Treasure by a group of amateur fieldwalkers. Originally the site appeared to be typical of many fields containing Roman pottery but subsequent exploration produced several Iron Age (or Celtic) coins. This is an extremely rare occurrence and the professionals were rapidly contacted and subsequently funding was found to excavate the site. Over three digs many items were discovered beneath the surface of the ploughed field. These included approximately 5,500 coins, a rare Roman cavalry parade helmet, a silver bowl and other precious items. Large amounts of pig bones were also exposed and the experts agreed that what had been found was an important Iron Age religious centre where the local tribe, the Corieltauvi, gathered to feast and make offerings to their gods. Entitled 'Rituals, Hoards and Helmets' the exhibition at Hallaton Museum relates the story of this exciting find in photographs, text, displays and the words of the local amateur group who first discovered it.
There will be opportunities for children to try on a replica Roman helmet; drape a 'Roman' cloak round their shoulders and have their photograph taken, and piece together a broken pot and sort sherds of pottery. Market Harborough Museum is mounting a major exhibition of the coins and the history of the site which is due to open in September. The exhibition at Hallaton, which is intended to complement their exhibition, offers an opportunity to see the story from a different perspective. Open Saturdays, Sundays and Bank Holidays from 2.30 – 5.00pm until the end of September. Entry free, donations always very welcome. (or at other times by prior appointment when a small charge will be made.) Group village tours can be arranged. Contact 01858 555305.
BEST EXHIBITION - BEST MUSEUM HERITAGE AWARDS 2009
The committee of Hallaton Museum is delighted to tell you all that at the Heritage Awards for Leicestershire and Rutland 2009 which were this year held at Stapleford Park Hotel, Hallaton Museum won two awards: 'BEST EXHIBITION' and also 'BEST MUSEUM' of the year.
These awards are held annually for independent museums throughout Leicestershire and Rutland and are keenly contested. As our museum is not only the smallest by far but is run completely by volunteers and exists pretty much on a financial shoe-string we have a great deal of which to be proud.
Of course this is by no means the only time we have won an award in face of stiff competition and we are highly regarded in the wider community.
Our thanks go to everyone who supports us.
We need as many visitors as possible, so please come along, bring your friends and pass the news on.
Leicestershire Museums GuideThe most comprehensive guide to museums in Leicester, Leicestershire and Rutland! Visiting museums in Leicester, Leicestershire or Rutland couldn't be easier. Using the information in the guide you can plan short trips to individual museums or whole days out to take in a group of neighbouring museums. www.leics.gov.uk/museumsguide