IBSTOCK HISTORICAL SOCIETY CALENDARS
Each year between 1991 and 1998, Ibstock Historical Society published a calendar for sale, with photographs and interesting historical snippets about Ibstock. Ibstock Community Enterprises Ltd holds copies of all the calendars and copies of individual pages can be obtained. Charges are 50 per page, with 40p going to Ibstock Historical Society. Copies can be posted, but please speak to us beforehand so that we can agree costs and payment methods. Any queries, please contact 01530 262882.
What follows is a list of the photographs contained in each calendar and the supporting text. Please note that the text is as published has not been updated to reflect current activity in Ibstock.
Frontispiece - St Denys' Church, Dates from the fourteenth century
Jan/Feb - May Day Parade, Pre 1910
Mar/Apr - Corner of Chapel Street/High Street
May/Jun - The Old Manor, Melbourne Road
Jul/Aug - Pickworth's Stores, now the Post Office
Sep/Oct - Ibstock Colliery 1825-1928
Nov/Dec - Old Belchers Toll Bar, one of the four toll bars on the approach roads to Ibstock
Frontispiece - Ibstock Parade and Gala September 1913
Jan/Feb - Ibstock Free Church Cricket Club: 1909
ICFU on the caps is Ibstock Free Church Union. This team won 12 of their 14 matches in 1909, including The Heather Challenge Cup.
Back Row L to R: W Wallace, H Askew, W Warren, W Bourne, H Holmes, Alfred T Eggington, P Callier
Middle L to R: G H Ball, W Bourne, Bert Foster, W Jakes Fletcher
Front L to R: R P Bourne, L Bourne, A Bourne, little boy not known.
Mar/Apr: Pickworth's Cart. Sybil Pickworth and her brother Harold had their drapery stores at London House in the High Street. The premises were eventually bought by Charles Ford, the then postmaster.
May/Jun: Leicester Road. On the right, part of the old Elbow Row. The old Scout Hut, previously the Salvation Army Hut, had not been built. Green's, the corner shop on the left, sold corn and animal feeds.
Jul/Aug: The Little Red Loco. Workers at Ibstock Colliery. On the footplate, Bill Clitheroe, who later lost all but one of his fingers on his right hand. Accidents at the pit were commonplace.
Sep/Oct: Chapel Street. Coal has just been delivered. The gas street lamp on the right will be lit by the lamplighter on his rounds at dusk. A photographer was obviously a curiosity.
Nov/Dec: High Street in the winter. On the left, projecting almost into the road, is George Morton's Toffee Shop. He used to go into the cinema during the interval, with his wooden leg strapped on, selling oranges and toffees from a basket round his neck.
Frontispiece: Swingler's Cottage. A number of years before its restoration in 1915. 'Granny' Ball, the great grandmother of the present Miss Swingler, stands by her gate.
Jan: The 'Night Soil' Cart. An unenviable occupation, but they were obviously proud to pose for their photograph. Young children were often told they had to be in bed before 'the nine o'clock horses' came.
Feb/Mar: A new building for an Ibstock Church [Wesleyan Reform Chapel, Melbourne Road]. This was taken on Saturday 29 July 1911, from Central Avenue. Foundation stones were laid by Mr H D McLaren MP, Mr R B Thirlby, Mr H Holmes, Mr W B Newman and Mr J E Grey.
Apr/May: Milk Float in the 1920's. The Manor House, Melbourne Road is in the background. Note the churn, the measuring can, the handbell and the customer's own jug.
Jun/Jul: High Street. At the junction with Orchard Street. The shop on the far right used to be the Star Supply Stores kept by Mr and Mrs Jones.
Aug/Sep: Ibstock Flower Show, 6 September 1913. This was the 16th Annual Exhibition and Sports of the Ibstock Agricultural Society held in a field off Melbourne Road. It was given two columns in the Coalville Times.
Oct/Nov: High Street. Taken near the Post Office, with Manton's corner in the distance. Mr Horace Harratt, for many years Headmaster of the Junior School, lived in the second house on the left.
Dec: Chapel Street. On the right was Mrs Howitt's greengrocers. Next but one - now 'Casuals' - was Mrs Woodward's she shop - without a shop window! She sold whips and tops, marbles, etc. for the children, and shoes which were often paid for with a Club Card.
Frontispiece: Scout Hut. A Scout Hut stood on the site of the car park by the Miners Welfare Fields. Formerly used by the Salvation Army, it is known to generations of Ibstock schoolchildren, who walked up from the Infant School in Grange Road, for their dinners. On the right was Elbow Row at the top of Chapel Street - now the site of Thornham Grove Elderly Persons Home. The Scout Hut was eventually demolished in the mid 1970's.
Jan: High Street in the horsedrawn era. On the right, by the handcart is Len Mears smithy, now a photographers, in the foreground is Thirlbys Stores.
Feb: A fine view of a Red Pullman Safety Coach owned by Hipwells Green Bus Services. Hipwells Garage was on the site of Swifts Plant Hire on Leicester Road. We know this bus was new in 1927 and bought second hand by Hipwells. This photograph was taken prior to 1932 when new coach work replaced the original.
Mar: Ibstock's Colliery closed in 1928. In its heyday it was the village's biggest source of employment. Many families moved into Ibstock because work was available at the pit.
Apr: Belchers Bar Cottages - re-roofed, they previously had thatched roofs. The cottage stood on the corner where Overton Road comes out on to Hinckley Road - the former Turnpike Road.
May/Jun: The building on the right is the Ram Inn on High Street. The Barrs Tea sign is on the side of Morton's shop. George Morton lost a leg in a pit accident and wore a wooden one. His shop sold sweets. He would also bring a basket into the Palace Cinema and sell nougat and other delights.
Jul/Aug: Overton Road - looking from the brook towards the Rectory on the left and the Manor House on the right. This was early in this century - note how the walls are standing to their full height.
Sep: This is a very early photograph of the High Street, showing a thatched cottage where the Post Office now stands.
Oct: Minnie Howitt's shop at the bottom of Chapel Street. She sold greengrocery between the wars.
Nov: A good view of High Street showing the unmade road surface in about 1910. On the left is Cramp's shop.
Dec: Parades have always been a feature of Ibstock village life. This one is being watched by an interested group of people outside the Crown Inn, on the corner of High Street and Hinckley Road. To judge from the clothes this was in the late 1920s.
Frontispiece: Greetings from Ibstock. Greetings car view of Ibstock. The Isolation Hospital was where the present day pig farm is. Station Road was a tree-lined road with, as yet, few houses. The Rectory is little changed. The view of Ashby Road is looking towards Strawberry Villa - the cross-roads where the ghost of a headless woman is said to have been seen.
Jan: Heather Station - this station served Ibstock as well. Alas, there is nothing left now.
Feb: Can anybody tell us where this photograph was taken? The clothes the men and children are wearing show that this was in the early part of the century. Keeping fowls was an important part of a family's economy.
Mar: An early photograph of the ford in Overton Road (formerly Locker's Lane). This attractive spot was a favourite place with children then as now.
Apr: Are you in this picture? We've been told that the following people are in this group of Girl Guides - Margaret Hodson, Dorothy Sparrow, Rosie Wilkinson, Peggy Newman, Olive King, Barbara Hicklin, Joyce Mattley, Vera Bailiss, Rose Parnell, Ida Belcher, Mabel Smith, Barbara Jones, Dolly Pike, Emily Parnell. Ibstock Historical Society would welcome information about this group.
May: We don't know who the young woman cyclist is but behind her is a rare view of Ibstock's gas works at the corner of Spring Road and Pretoria Road (formerly Common Hill).
Jun: Before the turn of the century Chapel Street was known as Chapel Lane. This picture is taken towards the top end with Central Avenue coming in from the left. On the right is one of the gas street lights which would have been turned on and off by the lamplighter as he made his rounds.
Jul: Can anybody tell us what this tree planting ceremony was about? We know that it involved Alderman J J Sparrow (in shirtsleeves). The young lad just behind him is wearing knee-breeches so the date, we think, is sometime between the two wars.
Aug: Melbourne Road - looking in the Hinckley direction. Set back is Milestone House and in the distance is the Methodist Chapel.
Sep: Remembrance Day parade at the War Memorial on Central Avenue in the late 1940's.
Oct: Just looking at the roof lines makes us think that this horse drawn carriage is standing outside no 86 High Street - but you may have better knowledge. When photograph was invented the horse was very much in use to draw carriages and carts and to perform many tasks on the farm.
Nov: These two boys are wearing the sort of clothes most lads wore in the early days of this century. The caps and short trousers were very much the standard. This picture of High Street, looking towards the bottom of Chapel Street shows George Morton's toffee shop sticking out on the pavement to the right. The granite setts at the kerb and in the gutter contrasts with how the roads are made nowadays.
Dec: Motor cars are now firmly established as we can see in this picture of Melbourne Road.
Frontispiece: Bailiss' the Butchers also had a slaughterhouse. This picture was taken in 1936 - as we can tell from the advert for the Palace Cinema.
Jan: This view looking down Orchard Street from High Street shows how it looked in about 1910. On the left the Chemist Shop, on the right the Star Supply Stores.
Feb: Windridge's Bus Service was based on Melbourne Road at the top of Deacon's Lane (modern Gladstone Street).
Mar: These derelict houses are where the Ison sisters lived. They were coal higglers - one shilling a barrow load. The site is where the present day doctors' surgery is.
Apr: Hardington's shop on Melbourne Road now converted.
May: St Denys Church - Ibstock Parish Church. This picture shows part of the splendid lime tree avenue.
Jun: Mrs Rolleston stands outside her shop on High Street - to the left of the present premises of Ibstock Spice and Rice.
Jul: This member of the Higgott family drove railway lorries from Coalville Station.
Aug: Can you tell us which of Ibstock's bands this is? The photo was taken in about 1930 and shows the band turning onto Central Avenue from Melbourne Road with the Junior School in the background.
Sep: This picture shows the Annual Camp of the Church Lad's Brigade at some time before 1914. Unless you can tell us, we don't know where this was.
Oct: We would appreciate some help in identifying the place and occasion of this parade.
Nov: An aerial view of the White House at the bottom of High Street, part of this building may date back to the 14th century. Ibstock is particularly proud of the fine beech trees in this part of the village.
Dec: Leicester Road seen from the Hastings Arms before the First World War. On the right is Elbow Row where Thornham Grove Elderly Persons Home now stands.
Frontispiece: The Manor House, Overton Road, was the doctors' surgery for many years. This is a rare photograph taken inside the walls fronting onto High Street.
Jan: St Denys' Church This picture was taken while the church underwent restoration work at the beginning of this century.
Feb: Mee's Bakery on High Street - at the bottom of Chapel Street. Note the delivery waggon at the left which tells us this picture was taken early in the century.
Mar: This smart single deck bus with its white sidewall tyres is standing outside the garage. Can you tell us which bus company it was, where the garage was, who the conductor is and when the photograph was taken?
Apr: This picture was taken in 1951, the year of the Festival of Britain. It shows Alderman J T Jacques, OBE, JP, opening the new bungalows for old people in Jacques Street - named after him. Just behind him are the new tenants, Joe and Mary Holmes.
May: Ibstock's pit ponies. The colliery headstocks and other buildings can be seen in the background.
Jun: Ibstock Working Men's Club members and families pose together during a weekend at Blackpool during the 1950's. Arch and Vera Bott, Mr and Mrs Fred Storer, Mr and Mrs Tom Storer and their son Tom - all from Leicester Road - Mr and Mrs Jones of Central Road, Mr and Mrs Chris Gamble from the colliery houses - Chris Gamble lost a hand from a bomb explosion while serving with the Ibstock Brick and Tile Home Guard. Third from the right, back row is the coach driver - Bert Ball.
Jul: Ibstock Church Parade, July 12th 1920. This parade was used to raise funds for the Leicester Royal Infirmary.
Aug: Thatching in progress. Do you know where, when and who the people are?
Sep: This picture shows Dr and Mrs Meldrum. Dr Meldrum practised in Ibstock for many years and was well known to many people.
Oct: This is another of our mystery photographs. We are pretty sure it was taken in Ibstock but we don't know who the young woman is, which house is behind her or when the picture was taken.
Nov: This picture shows The Ram Hotel - now called the Ram Inn - sometime before 1909. The Palace Cinema has not yet been built. George Morton's sweet shop can be seen clearly with an advertisement for Barr's Tea on its wall.
Dec: The Scouts' band is marching up Gladstone Street (formerly Deakin's Lane). They are just passing The Boot Inn on the left. The building on the left in the picture has since been demolished. We have been told it was a sweet shop. We have also been told it was a butcher's shop. It may have been both in its time. Can you help us sort out this little bit of Ibstock's history?
Frontispiece: Three views of Ibstock - good pictures of St Denys' Church and Swinglers Cottage in Overton Road (formerly Lockers Lane) - but do you know exactly where we are looking at on Hinckley Road? The Tram House is something we have not come across before - it looks like Lodge Farm on Overton Road - but what is the connection with trams or tramways?
Jan: This is a rare picture of Ibstock's Town Hall, which stood on Melbourne Road at the top of Hall Street (formerly Smiths Lane). It has seen many uses in its time. In 1848 the British and Foreign Bible Society founded the British School in this building and it was here that Non-Conformist children were taught until the present junior school was opened in 1906. The Ibstock Debating Society met here in the early years of the century and it housed prisoners of war during World War I. There are still villagers who can remember buckets of water being sold from the Town Hall between the wars.
Feb: Ibstock Brick and Pipe Yard on Leicester Road - the precursor to Ibstock Building Products. The circular kilns are long since gone.
Mar: Mr W J Newman at the wheel of Ibstock's first taxi. He carried on the business after his father's death.
Apr: A typical Ibstock street scene early this century. Crane's butchers shop was on the site where Lenton's shoe shop, recently the Marlene Reid shop, was situated on High Street. Note the paving made from granite setts - in many places these setts are still in place deep under the present pavements which have progressively risen in height as fresh layers have been applied over the years.
May: In 1914, when this picture was taken, Empire Day was celebrated in a big way. Note the frock coat worn by the gentleman on the left who is waving to the children, and the dress and hat worn by the lady on the right of the picture - typical clothing of the time.
Jun: Members of Ibstock's Earl Howe Lodge of the Independent Order of Odd Fellows - can you put names to the faces?
Jul: Perhaps you have an ancestor in this picture? It is a garden party in 1924 to raise funds for Ibstock Methodist Chapel on Melbourne Road (this stretch of Melbourne Road was formerly known as Bufton).
Aug: Ibstock High Street - on the left is the old National School. The first record of education in the village is in 1732 when Thomas Clare gave a schoolroom for the use of the parish. It was eventually sold for £20.00and the interest on this helped to fund the National School, built in 1818. This school taught Church of England pupils. Mr and Mrs J Vaughan lived in the three-storied house, which is well fixed in the memories of their children - Jim and Mick still living in Ibstock. Bayliss' shop, formerly at different times a grocers and a butchers, has more recently been The Dolly Shop and then a carpet shop.
Sep: During World War II Ibstock had its own Home Guard detachment. This picture shows the NCOs. We have some names - back row, second from left, Arthur Houghton; second from right, Horace Webster: front row, from the left, Charles Holmes, Norman Tomlin, Maurice Warner, Sam Ottey, Arthur Foster. The picture was taken outside the secondary school on Central Avenue (formerly known as New Road).
Oct: Lewis Egginton's newsagent and tobacconist shop in 1935 showing how the newspapers carried ominous forebodings of World War II. Mr Egginton's shop was on a site where the car park at the bottom of Gladstone Street is today. (Gladstone Street was formerly known as Deakin's Lane).
Nov: Ibstock High Street during the Second World War - the newspaper billboard at left appears to read "England's desperate fight to-day". Grange Road is on the right just beyond the car facing us. Take a look at the pram on the right side of the picture.
Dec: The Methodist Sunday School in 1910 showing Fred Pike and his class. Fred was the father of Les Pike who, in relatively recent years, was County Commissioner for the Scouts and who led Ibstock's Scout Troupe for quite some time. The boy seated in front of Fred Pike is Lewis Egginton. The older four boys in the front row died in the First World War.